Monitoring of C programmes to a lower level than prof

Alex White arwhite at watdaisy.UUCP
Sat May 28 05:17:10 AEST 1983

Is there anybody out there who has such a programme? I.e. prof tells me
that some large percent of the time is spent in one routine; it is a fairly
long routine with a lot of conditional stuff that I haven't the foggiest idea
which paths are traversed most; is there any way to figure out which areas
are getting hit the worst?  The other is there are zillions of calls to this
routine; which is called from dozens of places.  Is there any routine to
see who did most of the callings?; i.e. mcount but stuffed in at the
function calling rather than the function startup.