core dumps

SHAWN%mit-ml at sri-unix.UUCP SHAWN%mit-ml at sri-unix.UUCP
Wed Nov 2 05:37:00 AEST 1983

From:  Shawn F. McKay <SHAWN at mit-ml>

Yes. on all counts, however, I think makeing the file 0 mode, is
kind of useless, as what if the user cd's to another directory he can write,
and dumps, then all of a sudden, a core file is created.. I feel its better
to 'trap' or SIG_IGN, when you don't wan't to deal with it, granted,
SIG_IGN's are evil, but they work. The better way, (the one I pointed out
in the last message, pointed out, what I feel to be the best way to deal with
it, or even something more like a program that runs yours in a funny mode,
where it traps signals destin to your program, does not allow a cure dumps, (via
your enableing an option), and tells you about the core dump, somewhat like
when you run a program in 'adb'. In fact, it sounds so good, I might just
place this on my todo list..

			Happy Hacking
			   -Shawn