Cheap sources for educational institutions

edhall%rand-unix at sri-unix.UUCP edhall%rand-unix at sri-unix.UUCP
Tue Nov 1 13:35:00 AEST 1983

Discounting (especially donating) equipment to academic institutions
also has certain tax incentives for the company involved.

But as someone who used to work at such an institution, I realize
just how helpful `academic discounts' are in helping stretch
already tight budgets.  And having a donation from a local vendor,
or a company with a high-placed alumnus, or even from a company
who likes all the exposure it gives them, is even more helpful.

Assuming, of course, that the equipment is useful.

I like to think that at least a few companies are far-sighted
enough to realize that helping a university is helping to produce
better future employees, and not just marketing exposure.

		-Ed Hall
		Rand Corporation, Santa Monica, CA
		edhall at rand-unix
		decvax!randvax!edhall