Worker Displacement discussion moved to HUMAN-NETS

lauren%rand-unix at sri-unix.UUCP lauren%rand-unix at sri-unix.UUCP
Tue Nov 1 13:43:00 AEST 1983

Long experience with large distribution mailing lists has very
clearly indicated that "inappropriate" topics (that is, topics
not relating to the primary subject matter of the list) should
be moved off to other lists as quickly as possible to avoid having
large numbers of people drop off the original list.  By analogy,
if people are subscribing to a financial newspaper, you might expect
them to quickly de-subscribe if that paper starting publishing
quantities of geology data instead!

Since an appropriate list for the discussion of worker displacement
DOES exist, I'm trying to move the discussion as quickly as possible
to avoid the fallout that will otherwise occur.  Some users get
disgusted with a list after only a few "off the main subject"
messages.  While it might be argued that these users are being
too "picky", we cannot afford out of hand to promote their leaving,
since they often have useful comments to make about various
"appropriate" topics.  As I made clear in my last message, virtually
anybody who receives UNIX-WIZARDS can easily receive HUMAN-NETS,
so everybody who is interested can follow the discussion, while those
who are NOT interested will not be forced to receive it.  There is
no attempt being made to stifle discussion, just to get it into
the right place before "list fallout" begins to occur.  As a
large-list maintainer myself, I can tell you that such fallout
can be amazingly easy to trigger.

In light of the above, I will not comment further here on the message
in question, except to state that I am fully aware of the
sarcasm intended but still found the implied amusement to be
distasteful and (in my opinion) inaccurately targeted in any case.

--Lauren--