ENOUGH ALREADY

jbray%bbn-unix at sri-unix.UUCP jbray%bbn-unix at sri-unix.UUCP
Wed Nov 16 03:39:56 AEST 1983

From:  James Bray <jbray at bbn-unix>

I for one am quite interested in any discussion relating to Berkeley vs. Bell,
whither Berkeley and wither Bell, &c, and I feel confident a lot of other
people are too. It seems to be the most proper sort of thing to discuss on
this list, certainly more interesting to me than the latest Versatec Driver,
the magic of TROFF, the Vax console (I don't have a Vax). Not that these things
shouldn't be discussed, but rather that the general question of BSD vs. BTL
is at least as appropriate.
  Questions: anyone know if Bell is ever going to pick up all Berkeley stuff?
The filesystem? Sockets? Virtual Memory (not to be confused with Virtual
Reality)? If so, any idea when? Anyone know what will be in sys[6-?]? 4.[3-?]?
Rumors on DEC's 4.2+ or other kernels? Anyone know if the 4.2 contract clause
that everyone objects to is in the licenses that DEC and Sun sell, or if they
swallow it themselves? Guesses as to how far The Ex-Phone Company is willing to go
in terms of making things binary-only, restricting use of the name Unix, and
other things that serve to remind one that there may be juicier monopolies out
there than even telephones? General scurrilous and unfounded rumors? More about
"U.S Jets shoot down alien Spacecraft"?
  I'm just dying to know...

--Jim Bray	UUCP decvax!bbncca!jbray	ARPA jbray at bbncca