Avl

Spencer W. Thomas thomas at utah-gr.UUCP
Wed Oct 12 09:26:55 AEST 1983

At the risk of being flamed at for flaming, I would like to make one
comment about the AVL language (which I have never used, but I think the
comment is appropriate, anyway).

As I recently pointed out to my intro CS class, automatic (implicit)
declarations are DANGEROUS.  They make it VERY EASY to write buggy code,
as anybody who has written much Fortran (God help them) will know.  A
simple spelling error can screw up your whole program.  Requiring
variable declarations is a VERY GOOD THING, which is why all "modern"
languages have them.

=Spencer