whither UNIX

flamer at omsvax.UUCP flamer at omsvax.UUCP
Sat Oct 8 02:14:29 AEST 1983

 I don't think anything is wrong with making improvements to Unix
 in its varied forms, but I do agree with one point:  we need to
 make moves in the standardization direction.

 I noticed that the vi/ex editor showed up in the distribution of
 System V.  This is a token movement of the type I suggest.  But
 to make Unix survive as a legitimate OS, some people need to get
 together and make their own ANSI-like committee.  I don't really
 think ANSI should get involved, because they generally take a long
 time to do things.

 The people of which I speak are BTL, BSD, Microsoft, etc., etc., all
 the people who are responsible for the various Un*ces.  Maybe a big
 conference once every two years, where these people DECIDE on the contents
 of STANDARD Unix, undoubtedly being a melding of the various efforts,
 and all Un*x vendors abide by the decisions.

 Change and improvement are not bad, as long as we have a consistant,
 controlled effort.

				    Jim Trethewey
				    HF2-2-243
				    Intel Corporation