crashing problem

chris at umcp-cs.UUCP chris at umcp-cs.UUCP
Wed Oct 5 03:56:37 AEST 1983

A quick description of the MPX file bug:  it's due to a problem in
mxclose() in mx2.c where the inode count goes to 0 but mxclose() is
still playing with it, and someone else allocates it.  The CMU fix
was to increment the i_count field at the start of the mxclose()
routine and then check for 2 instead of 1 at the bottom before
returning.  I'm offering to send the CMU fix to anyone who wants it.
We installed it many months ago, and haven't been crashed for mpx
problems since (well, OK, once, for someone's hack, which did something
real bizarre).
--
In-Real-Life: Chris Torek, Univ of MD Comp Sci
CSNet:	chris at umcp-cs		ARPA:	chris.umcp-cs at UDel-Relay