From VMS to UNIX

ron%brl-vgr at sri-unix.UUCP ron%brl-vgr at sri-unix.UUCP
Thu Oct 20 15:30:03 AEST 1983

From:      Ron Natalie <ron at brl-vgr>

Goto's are not unrestriced in C.  But the case for using them 99%
of the time is to save code space.  You are therefore specifically
overriding any code optimizations time wise that good be made.
Mostly, I don't see any proof (and I doubt it can be proven) that
there is any reason why C has to produce worse code than bliss.

You may also note that in many instances the F4P compiler on the
PDP-11's produced "better" code than an equivelent piece of C
output from the original version 6 compiler.

-Ron