chown - right or privilege - (nf)

Laura Creighton laura at utcsstat.UUCP
Mon Oct 24 02:07:04 AEST 1983

The article I followed up was a followup to an artticle that is one of
those annoying duplicates. What I want to let people know is that *a lot*
of people (including myself) have written programs that depend on
the-owner-of-any-file-that-is-created-by-the-person-running-the-program
is-the-person-running-the-program. Sorry folks, but it never occurred to
me that someone was going to change THAT. I expect to see a lot of
broken local software as this 'feature' perculates through the unix
communittee. In particular, everybody go back and check and see if
your secure-as-Fort-Knox database manipulating programs are still
secure. Mine aren't...

Laura Creighton
utzoo!utcsstat!laura