PDP-11 C Compiler with Long Names

ron%brl-vgr at sri-unix.UUCP ron%brl-vgr at sri-unix.UUCP
Thu Oct 13 12:50:24 AEST 1983

From:      Ron Natalie <ron at brl-vgr>

We fudged this by taking a Berkeley CPP (one that does long identifiers)
to replace the Bell CPP.  We then just put at the top of the file an
include file with the ambiguous references such as

	#define	sockaddr	skaddr
	#define	sockaddr_in	skaddrin

This is how we got the Berkeley TCP code to work on our 11's.

Allowing long symbol names involves changing not just the compiler,
but the loader, debuggers, the assembler, nm, and anyother program
that knows about the symbol table.  This also causes all previously
compiled programs to have a different symbol table than the new ones.

-Ron