whither UNIX

gwyn%brl-vld at sri-unix.UUCP gwyn%brl-vld at sri-unix.UUCP
Wed Oct 19 14:27:36 AEST 1983

From:      Doug Gwyn (VLD/VMB) <gwyn at brl-vld>

I agree that the issue of UNIX standards is a very important one
and that the DEVELOPERS of various UNIXes should meet on occasion
to discuss the issues and to try to coordinate their directions.
I believe that USENIX conferences years ago used to accomplish a
lot technically, but in recent years the technical content has
dropped significantly.  How I miss the "guru panels" where internals
could be freely discussed!

How about setting up a DEVELOPER Birds-of-a-Feather session at the
Washington USENIX conference?  It would perhaps be necessary to
show proof of source license, although I think that could be avoided.
I would particularly like to see the following categories of people
present in a panel at such a session:
	(a) Bell Labs Research people
	(b) Berkeley Software Distribution developers
	(c) Western Electric developers
	(d) Well-known gurus (not to mention any names here, since
	    I would miss somebody important, but I do have about a
	    dozen "old-timers" in mind).

If there is sufficient interest from the right people, I would
gladly work on setting up this "session".