NEEDED - an inexpensive way of dialing out.

bbanerje at sjuvax.UUCP bbanerje at sjuvax.UUCP
Wed Oct 26 00:28:43 AEST 1983

Can anyone out there in Net-land help?

We have one (1) port available on our VAX-11/780 and would
like to use it to acquire some sort of dial-out capability.
Apparently, the Automatic Call Unit software supplied was
for dialers controlling a large number of modems etc.

The constraints present are as follows :

a)  Only 1 port is available.
b)  Funds are constrained to ~ $700.
c)  Our site is new to UNIX (4.1 bsd) and would prefer
    to avoid a large amount of hacking.

The constraints listed above could probably be satisfied with
one of the "ASCII controlled `Smart' modems".  These include
The Hayes Smartmodem, The Novation Smartmodem and a model by
Racal Vadic.  The question is, what would have to be rewritten
to use one of these instead of the supplied drivers for acu0,acu1
etc. ?

If anyone happens to have drivers for any of the modems listed,
or can tell us what is involved (so that we can try to write the
stuff ourself), we would be very grateful.  A driver to allow the
use of a Hayes Smartmodem would be ideal ( I know where I can get
one cheaply).

If the solution proposed previously is unrealistic, and you have
an alternative suggestion, please let us know by mail.

Thanks,

      Binayak Banerjee
{psuvax|presby}!burdvax!sjuvax!bbanerje