SRITEK 68000 PC plugin running XENIX

ica.dave%ucla-locus at sri-unix.UUCP ica.dave%ucla-locus at sri-unix.UUCP
Sat Oct 22 22:52:30 AEST 1983

From:            David Butterfield <ica.dave at ucla-locus>

-- 110 more lines --

Here are some comments on the SRITEK 68000 card.

We have had the card for about two months, and use it heavily, about 16
hours every day.  It is running XENIX.  We are using the system single
user for program development.  It is plugged into an IBM XT with two XT
disks (10MB each), a floppy disk, a COM1 card, and the card with the
video/printer interface.

The board is actually two boards screwed together, which take 1.5 slots
worth of space.  We put it into slot 6, so that it "wastes" slot 7,
which is unusably short anyway.  (Actually, it is possible to use the
slot next to the card, if you like to put cardboard between your
boards.)

Xenix runs on the 68000, and DOS on the PC.  Since the only peripheral
on the 68000 is the PC, all I/O goes through it, and it is called the
I/O processor (IOP).  The IOP runs a SRITEK supplied program to
implement the I/O functions which runs under DOS and uses its device
drivers.

It also has an interrupt driven driver of its own for the first XT hard
disk on the system, upon which you create a non-DOS partition for it to
use.  For disk devices other than the first XT drive (if you have one)
it implements the XENIX devices inside DOS files.  Accesses using these
DOS files seem to be about 1.5 times slower than accesses using the
interrupt driven "devices" in the XENIX partition.

There is one disadvantage to using the XENIX partition, however.
Neither XENIX nor the IOP software handle bad blocks, whereas DOS does.
So if you have a drive with bad spots in the place where the XENIX
partition goes, you're out of luck.  (We have 5 XT's:  2 with zero bad
cylinders, 2 with 1 bad cylinder each, and 1 with 3 bad cylinders; the
numbers are on a label atop the drives.)

I partitioned my first XT drive into an 8MB XENIX partition and a 2MB
DOS partition.  The minimum XENIX partition size recommended is 7MB.
When the system was first brought up, there were 3715 free blocks.  (I
guess a 7MB partition would leave you 1667, a 9MB partition would leave
you 5763, and a 10MB (you boot off floppies) 7811.)  Of course you can
get yourself more free space if you don't use learn (1224 blocks) or
spell (700 blocks) or games (450 blocks).  There are no online manuals
or sources (sigh).

Basically, the system runs, and is fairly usable, for a single user.
Its major failing is that with regard to disk I/O it is slow.  I am not
sure if this is inherent in the drives, or the IOP software, but I
suspect the former.  The IOP takes advantage of whatever PC memory you
have to implement a write through cache of disk pages.  For instance, if
you type "ls -ls" twice in a row, there is no disk activity the second
time.  (This probably means that one should structure makefiles to do
similar things all in a row on this machine.)

The system is your basic V7 Unix, with such goodies as more, fsck, csh,
and (yes) vi.  The console emulates three tvi925 terminals.  You type a
special character and the IOP switches you among three screens -- they
look like three terminals to XENIX.  If you have something going on the
first screen that you forgot to run in the background (because you are
used to typing ^Z to your VAX), you just switch to another screen and
resume working.

The compiler seems to be pretty good.  It compiled (and the loader
loaded) several long complicated programs.  We have had three problems
with it.  It does not do structure passing correctly (it generates bad
code).  (It does, however, do structure assignment right.)  The printf
library routine recognizes the "%04x" convention, and not the "%.4x"
one, causing incompatibility with some systems.  The last thing is that
it does NOT have a bug that the VAX compiler has.  The vax compiler
fails to sign extend when casting a short to an unsigned.  (Yes, K&R
requires to lengthen first, then unsignify -- thus sign extension should
occur.  It automatically works on any machine where sizeof int == sizeof
short.) The XENIX compiler does it right, resulting in nonportability.
(The chksum routine in uucp depends on this bug to run on the VAX, by
the way.)

The board comes with 22 floppies (with XENIX and the IOP software and a
diagnostic program) and 6 notebooks.  5 of them are XENIX documentation
and one is for the board itself.  The documentation is not the best,
however, and I had to make a few phone calls (though mostly for stuff no
one else is interested in, I admit.)

The hardware seems to be very solid.

There are a few problems with the system.  About once a week, it trashes
a block of inodes, and we have to patch or restore the root.

We run UUCP every hour to a VAX.  Once in a while when the system is
busy, UUCP gets one of its alarm signals while it is opening the tty it
uses.  It sometimes leaves the inode for the tty locked, which allows no
one to open it, and makes ps hang (because he likes to look at ttys).
The system loses characters when UUCP runs at faster than 1200 baud.

The debugger adb gives an "I/O error" when you try to run with a
breakpoint set, but seems to work anyway.  Sometimes setting a
breakpoint seems to trash location 0xFFE, but maybe adb just makes it
look like it was trashed.  (Adb does a good job of disassembling 68000
code, though!)

For some reason /etc/dmesg does not work.

These problems are annoying, but I have run on PDP-11 V7 systems that
were more flakey than this one, and it gets the job done.

I would appreciate hearing comments from anyone else using this board,
anyone else using another plug-in processor for the PC and, anyone
running a Unix derivitive on the PC or one of its plug-in boards.

Dave
Dave at ucla-locus