Unix on 370's

Mike O'Dell mo at seismo.UUCP
Sun Oct 9 12:49:04 AEST 1983

Over a year ago, the AT&T people at one of the Usenix meetings announced the
availability of Unix/TSS which runs as the native operating system
on 370-based machines.  The TSS is in the name because, I am told,
that since the 370 is such a beast for which to write I/O drivers and
memory management code, and that the very bottom layer of TSS
provides a 16-meg address space process plus 4096-byte block I/O
drivers which look very much like ones in Unix, they did the sensible
thing and started from this bottom layer.

If memory serves me, the source license was $100K.  Before you all
faint, this amount is about what many large IBM sites pay per year,
every year, for program product rentals.  And since they were talking
about supporting *hundreds* of users, it ain't too shabby.

	-Mike