Does this make(1)-like thing exist?

Sam Kendall kendall at wjh12.UUCP
Thu Oct 6 16:48:03 AEST 1983

I would like some program to take file derivation rules such as make(1)
uses, look at a directory, and say which files in that directory are
source and which are derived.  You know, eliminate a .o if a .c exists,
eliminate a .c if a .y exists, and so on.  This could be useful for
automated SCCS-ing, for printing, and for lots of other things.

(My current approximation to this program is to put a shell file called
"Srcfiles" in each directory, which echoes the proper list of names.
I have a very simple program called "setd" (set difference) which allows
one to say things like "setd yaccgram.y *.[ch] - yaccgram.c".)

It might be easiest to modify make(1) itself to perform the function
I am looking for.  There are complications, of course.  Has anyone done it?

	Sam Kendall		  {allegra,ihnp4}!wjh12!kendall
	Delft Consulting Corp.	    decvax!genrad!wjh12!kendall