Message to all unix-wizards posters, PLEASE READ

rcj at burl.UUCP rcj at burl.UUCP
Mon Oct 10 22:40:51 AEST 1983

Re: NAME YOUR UNIX FLAVOR!!!

Since the last time that I posted one of these, things have improved
dramatically -- (whether I had anything to do with it is debatable).
There are still some problems, however, so I decided to try again:

When you post a Unix-related article to net.unix-wizards (or any other
group, for that matter) REMEMBER TO GIVE BOTH THE FLAVOR OF UNIX YOU
ARE RUNNING/ASKING ABOUT AND THE HARDWARE INVOLVED!!!!  DO IT IN THE
SUBJECT LINE IF AT ALL POSSIBLE!!!

I realize that the breakup of net.unix-wizards I suggested recently may
not occur due to problems with ARPA gatewaying, among others.  But we
can create 'pseudo-subgroups' by specifying Unix flavors and hardware
in subject lines.  That way I don't have to read any articles about
BSD 4.x specific stuff that I don't care about.  Also, it is kind of
hard to answer a question like "How do I tune my system?" when I don't
know whether the asker is running on a PDP-11/70 or a 3B20; whether he
is running BSD 4.1 or USG 5.0

If you are not sure whether your question/comment is version-specific
or not, just ask/expound and end the article with a:

We are running USG 3.0 on a Vax 11/780.

unless that information is COMPLETELY irrelevant.

Any comments/suggestions/flames are welcomed at the address below,
--

The MAD Programmer -- 919-228-3814 (Cornet 291)
alias: Curtis Jackson	...![ floyd clyde ihnp4 mhuxv ]!burl!rcj