4.2 crashes

sam at ucbvax.UUCP sam at ucbvax.UUCP
Sun Oct 30 12:30:27 AEST 1983

I have spoken to a number of people running 4.2 and none
have experienced the problem mentioned, nor have any bug
reports been mailed to Berkeley regarding such a problem
(I'm no longer there to get phone calls, so I wouldn't know
if you called).  Since you presumably have a crash dump,
you should be able to at least give more information than
it crashes with a trap 8/9 and/or lots of dz's hang.  Even
differentiating between trap type 8 and 9 would be useful.
It is almost always a simple matter to get a stack trace
from a crash dump.  Try the following after your system
reboots and savecore has recorded the dump;
	% cd /usr/crash		(or similar)
	% adb -k vmunix.XX vmcore.XX
	*(scb-4)$c
This should give you a stack trace.  If it doesn't, then
you have to search for the stack frame on the interrupt or
system stack (there should always be a recognizable frame
on the interrupt stack if a dump was performed); once again
not too difficult, but more than I care to discuss here.