initial boot 4.1 on 730 with uda

chris at umcp-cs.UUCP chris at umcp-cs.UUCP
Mon Oct 24 20:20:27 AEST 1983

We ran into a similar problem with a 750 with only a uda.  Through
calls to Berkeley, we discovered that DEC had changed the csr
address for UDAs since Berkeley made the tape.  The old address is
0172150; I don't know what the new address is.  We had the DEC
fieldservice guy come out and flip the switches (by the way, we
looked at the boards and couldn't find the switches that were listed
in the site management guide (found some switches; just didn't
match listings)) back to the old address.  Tape now loads up the
mkfs program, program no longer halts, but instead gives the
wonderful cryptic message "Read error: 2".  We've been assured that
we have the latest 4.1 tape; VMS runs on the system, so we don't
know what's wrong.

Anyway, you might try checking out the csr address settings.

(By the way: to the curious, to solve the boot problem we're going
to attach RK07s to the 750, and bring over a bootable RK07 pack
from another machine, to get around the whole standalone deal.)

[PS:  TS-11 and UDA50/RA8x is a pain... talk about slow backups!
 Anyone have recommendations on streaming drives?]
--
In-Real-Life: Chris Torek, Univ of MD Comp Sci
CSNet:	chris at umcp-cs		ARPA:	chris.umcp-cs at CSNet-Relay