ed

Dave Maxey dave at rlgvax.UUCP
Wed Oct 5 15:14:22 AEST 1983

ne that matched and either execute or not execute an arbitrary list of
commands - MUCH more powerful than just having verify on substitute), a means
of piping lines to/through filters (like justifiers, spelling checkers), an
"again" command (do the same command again with possibly different addresses),
an ability to go "up a level" to edit another file and then come back down, a
more powerful undo command, a means for reading a list of commands from a
seperate file and returning, etc., etc. ... And we're not even talking about
the things you expect, like line numbers, command prompts, error messages,
turning the meaning of magic characters on and off, and much more ...

	If you're lusting after a version of ed that does all this, why not
just get one? Where, you may ask, is there an ed clone that has all of that?
Here. I happen to have a copy of the latest version of xed, from the author,
tgi (real name Craig Strickland, but nobody seems to know him by that name),
which is version 7.36. Many of you out there have earlier versions. I will
talk with the author and see if there are any problems with distributing to
whoever wants it. I haven't the foggiest who has what rights to it. If you
just want code to modify parts you need, I'll post "ed diffs" in sources.
Sorry for the length of this here, but I wouldn't know where else to post a
reply. Perhaps there should be a net.edclone newsgroup.

			Dave Maxey (alias tbm)
			{seismo,allegra}!rlgvax!dave