nroff terminal drivers - more he - (nf)

mwm at ea.UUCP mwm at ea.UUCP
Sat Apr 14 14:20:00 AEST 1984

#R:basser:-25800:ea:13500009:000:1254
ea!mwm    Apr 13 22:20:00 1984

/***** ea:net.unix-wizar / basser!chris /  6:45 pm  Apr  6, 1984 */
Some of us like it that way, you know.  I don't think anyone ever thought
that ATT (or especially Bell Labs) had some responsibilty to make life easy
for morons. (Boo-hoo).

Innovative programmers need salesmen sitting on them like they need more
orifices in their skulls.

My case rests.

Chris Maltby
University of Sydney
(and loving it)
/* ---------- */

Who said anything about making life easy for morons? Somebody merely wants
to not HAVE to be a Unix wizard to get work done. Of course, 90% of the
documentation assumes that you have the source and are proficient in C, so
they leave 70% of the documentation in their source. So if you don't have a
source license, even being a Unix wizard is no great help. And no, I won't
to buy a $43K source license for my $9K 68000 box.

Likewise, nobody said anything about making programmers write documentation
[God pity the poor user (non-programmer) who has to use such docs]. What
do you think technical writers are for?

Actually, it would be nice if AT&T started acting like they were selling
a commercial product, instead of shipping tapes with notes & wishes for
luck in them.

	<mike

	My Favorite Oxy-moron? "Unix Documentation"