VAX Floating Point Formats

Stephen Scalpone rascal at verdix.UUCP
Tue Apr 3 09:43:42 AEST 1984

Since the  introduction of the VAX, two floating-point
formats have been added, the "G" and "H" formats.  Can
someone explain to me when these types were introduced
and on which processors?  Thanks.

Specifically, my old VAX 11/780 Architecture Handbook from
1977-78 lists two floating-point types, floating and double
floating.  The newer VAX-11 Architecture Reference Manual,
Revision 6.1, May 20, 1982, lists these two types as "F" and
"D" format.  The two new types, "G" and "H" formats, are also
given.

	Stephen Scalpone
	Verdix Corporation
	ogcvax!verdix!rascal