Any guesses on what the 11/73 will support?

Dave Sherman dave at utcsrgv.UUCP
Wed Apr 4 02:20:15 AEST 1984

I've been looking into the 11/73 (11/70 for the QBUS), which
will shortly ("any day now") be available in a micro package
(the 11/23 is presently available in this form). Say I were to
get a system with
	- 2-3 20Mb Winchesters (RL02 emulation)
	- several DH's (DMA access)
	- 11/73 CPU (upgradable one day to a MicroVAX)
	- 256K or more (it can go up to 4 Meg)

...and bring up UNIX on it (we already have source-licensed UNIX
on an 11/23).

Any guesses as to what the above configuration would support?
I'm interested not in processing cycles so much as running many
(15-32) users at once, doing CAI which is disk-based (all running
the same shared-text interpreter), with a fair bit of thinking on
each user's part (a few seconds pause after every paragraph of text
spit out on the terminal). Am I crazy to think of this system?

Also, will this change when the MicroVAX is available? I'd want to
upgrade for the 32-bit addresses anyway; would performance also improve?

Thanks.

Dave Sherman
The Law Society of Upper Canada
Osgoode Hall
Toronto, Canada  M5H 2N6
(416) 947-3466

ARPA: ihnp4!utcsrgv!dave at BERKELEY
CSNET: dave.Toronto
UUCP: see below \|/
--
 {allegra,cornell,decvax,ihnp4,linus,utzoo}!utcsrgv!dave