Segmentation Violation & V7 shell

lfm at ukc.UUCP lfm at ukc.UUCP
Fri Apr 20 23:23:48 AEST 1984

We discovered an interesting fact about the operation of the V7 shell
whilst playing with our PERQ's. The Bourne shell detects the need to
grab some more memory space by trapping the Segmentation Violation
error caused by accessing out of bounds. However it assumes that after
claiming more space it can restart the interrupted operation where it
left off....... On the PERQ this doesnt happen!!! So you get weird
truncations of long parameter lists. Anyone know of any other programs
that could be affected by this problem??

  Lindsay F. Marshall
    uucp : ...!{mcvax,vax135}!ukc!lfm
    ARPA : Lindsay_Marshall%NEWCASTLE at MIT-MULTICS
    post : Computing Laboratory, U of Newcastle upon Tyne, U.K.
           +44 - 632 - 329233 xtn 212