Segmentation Violation & V7 shell

gwyn at BRL-VLD.ARPA gwyn at BRL-VLD.ARPA
Mon Apr 23 21:28:26 AEST 1984

From:      Doug Gwyn (VLD/VMB) <gwyn at BRL-VLD.ARPA>

I hope that the PERQ doesn't grow the user stack by the same method
that fails to extend the program break (inability to restart faulting
instruction)!

The only UNIX utility I know of that uses this incredibly kludgy
method of memory allocation is the Bourne shell.  Now that a good fast
malloc() is supplied with UNIX (both 4.2BSD and SysVRel2), I would
like to see the Bourne shell changed to do sensible memory allocation.
Does anyone know whether the Korn shell is any better about this?