/lib, /usr/lib, /usr/local/lib

Lyle McElhaney lmc at denelcor.UUCP
Wed Apr 25 11:43:07 AEST 1984

On our VAX we have elected to leave all the distributed directories as
much like they were distributed as possible.  We have generated, under
/usr/local, a tree of directories which contain the differences to
everything we "fix" on the distribution, along with our own additions.
In this way we hope to be able to perform the ultimate disaster
recovery by:
	- restoring the distribution, from the distributed tapes;
	- restoring /usr/local from some other tape;
	- cd'ing to /usr/local and uttering "make";
	- waiting three days.
Call it paranoid; I've been bitten by the failed restore once too often.

Details available upon request. This is expanded slightly from the
original idea borrowed from evi at boulder (Evi Nemeth), of recent
"vi:*** in the passwd file" fame.
--
		Lyle McElhaney
		(hao,brl-bmd,nbires,csu-cs,scgvaxd)!denelcor!lmc