/lib, /usr/lib, /usr/local/lib

Topher Eliot topher at cyb-eng.UUCP
Sat Apr 21 05:29:04 AEST 1984

If my impression is correct, once upon a time there was /lib, where the
libraries were kept.  Then /usr/lib was added, for 'local stuff that isn't
part of the standard system, but that we still want to make available to
everyone on the machine', (well, ok, also for systems whose root disks
were too small.  But that doesn't occur very much these days).  For the
sake of tidiness, I would love to throw away /usr/lib, /usr/bin, and all
the other 'duplicate' directories.  But I can't, because those pathnames
are built into so many programs.

So now we have /usr/local/lib for 'local stuff that isn't part of the
standard system, but that we still want to make available to everyone on
the machine'.  Pretty soon that pathname will be compiled into lots of
programs, too.

What's next?  /usr/local/REALLYlocal/lib?

Am I missing something, or is this an undesirable trend?

Cheers,
Topher Eliot
Cyb Systems, Austin, TX
ihnp4!ut-sally!cyb-eng!topher