Minor device numbers: too small!

Pete Story pete at kvvax4.UUCP
Tue Apr 10 11:06:31 AEST 1984

> How long will it be before we hear: "User ID numbers: too small!"
> Actually this has already happened.

You bet it did.  The uid is now an integer, but if you make it too big
you may get trouble.  In particular, we tried using our staff numbers,
so the ids were guaranteed unique and the same on all our machines.
These can go well over 1000 - and at least lastcomm(1) and quot(1)
needed changing to handle it.  (4.1 bsd)
--
Pete Story {decvax,philabs}!mcvax!kvport!kvvax4!pete
A/S Kongsberg Vaapenfabrikk, PO Box 25, N3601 Kongsberg, Norway