Help wanted with job control

John D. Irwin jdi at psuvax.UUCP
Sun Apr 1 02:07:29 AEST 1984

Re:	Unix dying upon termination of job in 2.8 with job control.

What's probably happening here is that what a child of the shell terminates,
it sends a SIGCHLD to its parent.  Well, unless you've changed your signal
handling to understand this sufficiently, it will treat it as any other sig-
nal.  Thus killing the shell.

My advice:	Run PSUnix 1.1.  Unfortunately, we aren't quite ready for dis-
	bution.  Also, you could try hacking in the 4.1 sig.c stuff, but be-
	ware -- that code is pretty full of holes on an 11.

Even more fun is trying to get the 4.2 tty routines to work on an 11, which is
what I'm doing now.  It seems that when UCB wrote 4.2 they abandoned all hope of
ever having it work on anything besides a 32 bit machine.  Thus they use 'int'
all the time, even when they should say 'long'.

Anybody heard anything about 2.9?  Our problem with PSUnix 1.1 is that we
basically work on the kernel only, ignoring user programs to an extent
(although we run csh and vi).  What we'd really like is to have BSD
Flexnames, but that requires modifying the assembler.  Anybody want to
volunteer (V7 assembler is written in, you guessed it, assembler)? :-)
--
Spoken:	John D. Irwin
AT&T:	814-237-5068