The Wizard backs down (limiting network access)

obrien at Rand-Unix.ARPA obrien at Rand-Unix.ARPA
Thu Apr 12 08:39:00 AEST 1984

	My, was I wrong!  No, of course 4.2 does not go through any
file system entities to access the network; one just creates a socket in
the Internet domain and binds it to an address.  One would have to hot-wire
the "bind()" mechanism to groups or something in order to provide protection.

	I was thinking of some local stuff we do to access the 3-Mbit
ethernet for PUP-1 stuff.  That does go through the file system, as does
the 4.1BSD Internet stuff.