rcs problem

Mark Callow msc at qubix.UUCP
Sat Apr 7 12:45:00 AEST 1984

The rcs distributed with 4.2 contains the following code fragment
(in src/rdiff/diff.c):

	static	char sccsid[] = "@(#)diff.c 4.1 10/9/80";

	extern	char _sobuf[];

	main(argc, argv)
		int argc;
		char **argv;
	{
		.
		.
		setbuf(stdout, _sobuf);
		.
	}

_sobuf is a buffer declared deep within the stdio library.  Needless
to say this undocumented buffer does not appear in all stdio libraries
as I discovered while porting rcs to Sun Unix 4.2BSD.
(It worked in Sun 4.1c).

Does anyone know what this setbuf is for?  I've just removed it for now.
Walter Tichy are you out there?
--
>From the Tardis of Mark Callow
msc at qubix.UUCP,  decwrl!qubix!msc at Berkeley.ARPA
...{decvax,ucbvax,ihnp4}!decwrl!qubix!msc, ...{ittvax,amd70}!qubix!msc

"I'm a citizen of the Universe, and a gentleman to boot."