TU80 update

Sid Stuart sid at linus.UUCP
Wed Apr 4 12:33:20 AEST 1984

The following is from Bill Shannon in reply to my question about the
TU80 screwing up dump. Since I received 15 letters on this, I thought it
might be of general interest. Thanks Bill.

Date: Sat, 24 Mar 84 21:21:26 pst
From: decvax!decwrl!sun!shannon (Bill Shannon)
Subject: Re: tu80 problem

The tu80 normally uses a 1.2" interrecord gap instead of .6" like
most other tape drives.  Dump assumes a .7" IRG.  I believe you
can change the tu80 to use a .6" IRG at the cost of giving up any
chance of streaming (which you probably aren't doing anyway).  The
tu80 is really a CDC Keystone; if you can't get a manual from DEC
try CDC.

					Bill Shannon

P.S.  4.2 dump will assume a 1.2" IRG on a Sun, I believe the code
is still ifdef-ed in there so it should be easy to change.  It would
be nice if there was an ioctl to return the IRG but the same tape
controller can control drives of both tapes so there's no way of
finding out the drive's IRG, you have to have some way of "knowing" it.