VAX 11/785 - (nf)

rpw3 at fortune.UUCP rpw3 at fortune.UUCP
Sat Apr 21 14:07:03 AEST 1984

#R:bnl:-40600:fortune:11600090:000:970
fortune!rpw3    Apr 20 18:41:00 1984

+--------------------
| I agree with the sentiments, but not the arithmetic. 30 Macs == 15 780's
| implies that 1 Mac = 1/2 780. I think 30 Macs = 2 780's would be a
| LOT closer.
| 	<mike
+--------------------

Uh... depends on what KIND of cpu ticks you need for your job.

IF	1. You can fit it memory-resident into a Mac,
	2. It is not floating-point or even multiply/divide
	   intensive,
	3. It involves a lot of pointer arithmetic, character
	   banging, and terminal I/O (like a typical editor),
	4. You don't need fast file I/O (or your Mac already
	   has a "net disk"),

THEN a Mac is indeed almost exactly 40% of a VAX-11/780.

If the app violates #1, YOU LOSE. If it violates #2 or #4, your
figure of 1/15'th of a VAX may be high.

You have to compare apples and... Oh, never mind.

Rob Warnock

UUCP:	{ihnp4,ucbvax!amd70,hpda,harpo,sri-unix,allegra}!fortune!rpw3
DDD:	(415)595-8444
USPS:	Fortune Systems Corp, 101 Twin Dolphin Drive, Redwood City, CA 94065