Interlan ethernet diagnostics and PDP11/70s

peteri at elecvax.UUCP peteri at elecvax.UUCP
Fri Apr 20 07:30:13 AEST 1984

We have recently received some interlan NI1010A Unibus ethernet controllers,
cables and transceivers. We also received diagnostics for the NI1010A.
The diagnostic rev level is 4.02 and the NI1010As are all rev H or higher.
The diagnostic runs just fine on a PDP11/34, in particular test "*nlbtst"
runs forever with no errors. BUT, when we try to run the same diagnostic
on our PDP11/70s, with NI1010As that have already been tested in the PDP11/34,
the default diagnostic tests work but "*nlbtst" does not. The error printout
indicates "Perform Network Loopback Test cmd- STATUS ERROR" and the status
returned indicates "Failure".

Is there something "special" about PDP11/70s, like the unibus map not
being handled correctly by the diag, or are we doing something wrong?

Peter Ivanov, School of EE and CS, Uni of New South Wales, Sydney, AUSTRALIA.
decvax!mulga!peteri:elecvax