nroff driver tables - how-to

Guy Harris guy at rlgvax.UUCP
Sun Apr 15 17:07:58 AEST 1984

> It also describes the procedure for converting this source file
> into a data file under System III.  I still do not have the maketerms.c
> and terms.mk files which are needed for this procedure.  I would even
> welcome a description of the file contents so that I could write my own.

Unfortunately, those files are part of the *roff source distribution, so
you'd have to have a source license to get them.

> BSD does not require these files.  Under BSD, you simply compile
> the source file, and move the ".o" file (sans ".o") to /usr/lib/term.

V7 doesn't require them either.  (There seems to be a common assumption that
there's BSD UNIX and there's USG UNIX.  Many forget that there was a V7 UNIX
which actually ran on PDP-11s and preceded both BSD and USG UNIX.)

Also note:

1) under V7 and 4.xBSD, "bset" and "breset" are the bits to turn on and off
in the "sg_flags" field;

2) the remark about boldface mode being reset automatically by the "twnl"
string is *not* generically true; it was a local modification made here due
to the braindamage of the Spinwriter printers we have - a carriage return
turns off boldfacing on those printers,

and 3) the V7/4.xBSD "nroff" does not have the "iton" or "itoff" sequences
for turning on and off "italic" mode.

	Guy Harris
	{seismo,ihnp4,allegra}!rlgvax!guy