4.2 getgroups manual page

craig at Bbn-Unix.ARPA craig at Bbn-Unix.ARPA
Fri Apr 13 05:02:52 AEST 1984

From:  Craig Partridge <craig at Bbn-Unix.ARPA>

    (My mailer tells me this letter died en-route, so I'll try again.)

    The manual page for getgroups() on 4.2 is very wrong (both Sun and
Berkeley manuals).  A correct version is below.  Corrections include:
argument types, return value, constant name and additional error codes.

.TH GETGROUPS 2 "7 July 1983"
.UC 4
.SH NAME
getgroups \- get group access list
.SH SYNOPSIS
.nf
.ft B
#include <sys/param.h>
.PP
.ft B
ngrps = getgroups(gsize, gidset)
int ngrps, gsize, *gidset;
.fi
.SH DESCRIPTION
.I Getgroups
gets the current group access list of the user process
and stores it in the array
.IR gidset .
The parameter
.I gsize
indicates the number of entries which may be placed in
.I gidset .
The return value is the number of entries in
.I gidset
that were filled.
No more than NGROUPS, as defined in
.RI < sys/param.h >,
will ever
be returned.
.SH "RETURN VALUE
A value of \-1 indicates that an error occurred, and the error
code is stored in the global variable \fIerrno\fP\|.
.SH "ERRORS
The possible errors for \fIgetgroups\fP are:
.TP 15
[EFAULT]
The argument \fIgidset\fP is an invalid address.
.TP 15
[EINVAL]
The size of \fIgidset\fP as specified by \fIgsize\fP is too small to
accomodate the entire group access list.
.SH "SEE ALSO
setgroups(2), initgroups(3)