VAX 11/785 and Unix

kermit at Brl-Tgr.ARPA kermit at Brl-Tgr.ARPA
Mon Apr 23 22:45:44 AEST 1984

From:      Charles Kennedy <kermit at Brl-Tgr.ARPA>

BRL VAX UNIX (basically 4.2BSD with bug fixes, and some enhancements) runs
on an 11/785 unmodified.  Straight 4.2BSD will probably run if it has the
new memory controller code incorporated into it.  This is the stuff in
machdep.c to handle the new MS780-E controllers.

On another note, I wouldn't spend $95K for an 11/785 upgrade when for $60K
I can turn the machine into a Purdue style Dual-VAX.  And I CERTAINLY would
NOT buy a 785 if it was a new machine.  There are a lot more cost-effective
machines out there (GOULD and Pyramid, for example).
	-Chuck Kennedy
	<kermit @ brl>