Bug in inet(3N) library - (nf)

essick at uiucdcsb.UUCP essick at uiucdcsb.UUCP
Wed Aug 22 23:49:00 AEST 1984

#R:sri-arpa:-1262400:uiucdcsb:14900013:000:751
uiucdcsb!essick    Aug 22 08:49:00 1984

re: the clash between declarations of inet_addr() in the include file
	and in the actual routine.

I ran into this problem earlier this summer and figured I would be clever
about it and change the routine to return the appropriate type.

Boy was I in for a treat.  The gethost() functions in libc.a EXPECT
the difference between the two declarations and do tricks with casting
to get things right.

I figured at that point it was easier to just play games with casting
rather than change either the header file or the routine itself. While
not the solution I would have liked [it would be nice if they were
all consistent], I can now expect my code to run on all of the 4.2
systems which still have this mistake.

--Ray Essick, University of Illinois