Style question - how to kill process based on user name / tty?

fouts at orville-ec.ARPA fouts at orville-ec.ARPA
Thu Aug 16 02:13:00 AEST 1984

From:  Martin Fouts <fouts at orville-ec.ARPA>

Doug Gwyn says:

>Let the users kill off their own bloody processes.  UNIX is not
>supposed to require operators.

	It is true that many UNIX user's assume the philosopy that the
machines are hands-on and without operators.  However, this isn't
always possible, and as UNIX becomes used on larger systems, more cases
of situations requiring operator assistance will occure.

	Given that I will require my operators to perform functions
like killing processes running on a given tty, I would like that
function to be as easy and error free as possible.

	Let me reword the question:

Within a running C program, I have available to me a username and tty
for a process.  What is the cleanest way to determine the process
number?