SysIII uucp question...

Craig Miller craig at scorplx.UUCP
Sat Aug 25 03:51:39 AEST 1984

#
We are running SysIII plus 4.1 mods on a Plexus P/60.  I think we are
running SysIII uucp with a few Plexus mods (by the way, I asked some-
one at Plexus and they couldn't help me with this problem).

I want to set up an entry in /usr/lib/uucp/L.sys so that the entry is
considered a 'slave' - i.e. queue up requests for that site but don't
try to connect to the site since they poll us, and we don't poll them.
I am pretty sure 4.2BSD (at least, maybe even 4.1) has a "Slave" type
of field for L.sys, but I have not found anything in our manual that
suggests that anything close to this is possible.

Am I completely missing something in the manual, or does SysIII uucp
not support 'one-way' connections? (I find it hard to believe that it
doesn't)  Does anyone else (running SysIII or something close) have this
problem?  If so, have you come up with a solution for it? (note: changing
the source is not possible, since we don't have it)

At the moment, I have kludged it to the max by putting a strange time in
the time field, so that when something does get queued up, I get the
"wrong time to call" error in /usr/spool/uucp/LOGFILE.  I realize that
this is trash (no flames, please) but I needed a quick 'solution' in order
to set up connections between our Plexus and some workstations when we are
only using one line between each workstation and the Plexus (and the work-
stations poll the Plexus).  But, I am really getting tired of LOGFILE
having all those error messages... (sigh)

Any suggestions would be appreciated.  Please respond by mail (since most
people that read this newsgroup probably are not running SysIII and have
no interest in it whatsoever....).  Thanks.
--

Craig Miller
{decvax,harvard}!scorplx!craig