785 and 4.2BSD

chris at umcp-cs.UUCP chris at umcp-cs.UUCP
Sat Aug 25 20:50:06 AEST 1984

> From: aps at decvax.UUCP (Armando P. Stettner)

> >    From:      Doug Kingston <dpk at BRL-TGR.ARPA>
> >
> >    4.2 WILL run on a 785 but only with the fixes for the 64K
> >    memory controller (the new memory controller).  Your local
> >    4.2BSD system hacker should be able to obtain these fixes.
> >    They are widely available.
> >
> >    					-Doug-

> I do believe that 4.2 will come up on the 785 (or a 780 with
> the MS780-E) with out the fixes for the new memory controller.
> I think that certain error reporting "tasks" will not work
> or be started in the kernel and that the annoying message of
> unknown Nexus type will be printed at auto-configure time.
> Let me know if this is not the case.

If the 785 really is ``bug-compatible'' with the 780 (I like that
phrase!), then Armando Stettner has got it exactly.  The only thing
that happens if autoconf doesn't recognize the nexus type is that
it gets ignored.  For memory controllers, this just means you don't
get soft ECC reports.  (Hard errors cause SBI faults anyway, so
you *do* get notified about those, if kinda ``the hard way''.)
--
In-Real-Life: Chris Torek, Univ of MD Comp Sci (301) 454-7690
CSNet:	chris at umcp-cs		ARPA:	chris at maryland