Bug in Unix System V C compiler

John Pierce jwp at sdchema.UUCP
Fri Aug 3 18:28:03 AEST 1984

In article <3726 at brl-tgr.ARPA> gwyn at brl-tgr.ARPA (Doug Gwyn <gwyn>) writes:
>And of course you turkeys are careful to write code that
>uses long identifiers so that porting it to non-BSD UNIXes
>is much more work than it had to be.  Very professional.

Gee, I didn't realize any of you really extra super professional people working
on those really super professional non-BSD systems considered any of us poor
turkeys running BSD systems capable of writing anything you might *want*.
My goodness!!!  Do you really mean that someday some really extra super non-BSD
superior professional type programmer might really ...  God!  This has me
so excited I can hardly type!! ... might really actually maybe want to port
something some slob BSD hacker wrote to their lovely pristinely professional
non-BSD system!!??  I can hardly believe it!  I mean, like, man, the thought
just really boggles my (admittedly inferior nonprofessional) mind!!!

Golly Whiz!!!  I gonna have to start giving this some thought though that's
probably gonna be hard for a poor nonprofessional like me.  Let's see...  I
guess I can start with cutting identifiers back to 8 characters (since that
seems to be what all the great professional people on the standards committee
think is best)...  And I guess I could put in line numbers so they could find
things easier...  WOW, MAN!!  I just had a BRILLIANT idea (in my nonprofessional
judgement, of course)...  I could write everything in FORTRAN (pure ANSII
standard, of course) since we all know that that's really easy to port...

				John Pierce, Chemistry, UC San Diego
				sdcsvax!sdchema!jwp