WANTED:SYS V tar to read Berkeley tar

Mike O'Dell mo at seismo.UUCP
Fri Aug 3 21:45:38 AEST 1984

> I have a tape from a Berkeley system (4.2) written in tar format.
> I would like to read it into a System V Unix.
> Of course tar has been "fixed" so the two tars are incompatable.
> So,
> Does anyone have a tar program written for System V Unix which
> can read berkeley tar tapes?
>
> Please send me mail if you do. I could use it!
>
> (UNIX is a TM of Bell Laboratories as we all know).
>
> Thank you!

One of the "fixes" which was required, and makes this a bit dicy
is something called "symbolic links".  I seem to remember that
this facility is broken in System V, so I am at a loss
to understand how one can extract an arbitrary tar tape  on System V.

Oh, I know!
Maybe if you wait 'till the next release.

	(tounge firmly in cheek)
	-Mike

"186,000 miles per second - Not just a good idea, it's the LAW!"