tar for V6 system

Steven M. Haflich smh at mit-eddie.UUCP
Sat Aug 25 22:50:03 AEST 1984

John Bass asks:
	As a side question how many V6 and V5 systems are still out there?

Well, I ran V6 just last week, trying to recover some ancient but
precious data files.  The circa 1980 disks still spun, but with lots of
bad blocks which I didn't remember having before :-).

I finally had to recover the files from even more ancient ROLLOUT tapes.
Fortunately, I had a program from V6 to V7 conversion days which can
peruse a V6 filesystem image and interactively extract files and
directory trees.  The V6 file system may be either on a physical disk,
or else loaded into a normal Unix file.  The program runs on either V7
or 4BSD, and anyone who might face similar data recovery problems is
welcome to a copy.

Steve Haflich, MIT
{ihnp4, decvax!genrad}!mit-eddie!smh
smh%it-ems at mit-mc