A Question About CURSES Capabilities

Michael Mc Namara mac at tesla.UUCP
Sun Aug 5 14:14:16 AEST 1984

>If the termcap database defines the delete line capability, shouldn't curses
>use it if the deleteln() function is used?  Curses is repainting the entire
>screen.  Could my curses code be old, it's from 1981.
>
>Also, if I update the curses window buffers using deleteln() and I manually
>update the screen by outputting the delete line string from termcaps, if it
>exists, how do I convince curses that the screen is up-to-date so that the
>next refresh doesn't repaint the screen.  Is there a flag somewhere?
>
>                          Rudy Bazelman / Wang Institute

The flag you want to use is idlok(win,bf).

"If enabled,  curses will consider using the hardware insert/delete line
feature of terminals so equipped.   If disabled, curses will  never use
this feature. " -- The Curses Reference Manual.

This should answer both queries.

                             Michael McNamara @ Cornell EE.
                            ..!cornell!tesla!mac