What must uucp names be limited to 7 characters?

Earl Wallace earlw at pesnta.UUCP
Sun Aug 19 08:05:06 AEST 1984

Can someone tell me why I cannot use 8 character uucp names?  Is there a
history to this?  What pain could I expect if I allowed uucp to run 8
character names?  I noticed that the source has lots of code to keep the
system name trimmed to 7 characters and I never really understood why.

While we are on this subject, when the heck is a really good public-domain
uucp going to hit the streets?
--
	Earl Wallace
UUCP:   ..!{ihnp4, ucbvax!hplabs, ucbvax!twg}!pesnta!earlw