VAX 750 RAM based microcode and Unix

Phil Ngai phil at amd.UUCP
Wed Aug 8 05:22:43 AEST 1984

This question is being asked for a site with a 750 running 4.1 BSD,
soon to upgrade to 4.2 BSD. We've been getting machine check 2,
cp tbuf par faults. I don't think 4.1 knows how to deal with it
but 4.2 does. However it would be even better to eliminate them
completely. DEC is willing to upgrade the CPU from rev level 3
to rev level 7. But the rev 7 CPUs store their microcode in RAM.
Presumably there is a method that VMS sites use to load the
microcode but is it possible for Unix sites to get the microcode
loaded? Has anyone dealt with and solved this problem already?

--
 I'm going to keep boring until I strike oil.
 Phil Ngai (408) 982-6554