Advantages of the Null Job?

B. Banerjee bbanerje at sjuvax.UUCP
Mon Dec 24 21:14:24 AEST 1984

Hi,

Often, in this and other newsgroups, I have seen references to the null
job.  This is usually something useful such as counting to infinity or
figuring PI to the millionth digit etc.  It is usually run at the
lowest possible priority.

Now, my question is - Are there any performance benefits to having the
null job running, or is it just there to soak up the CPU idle cycles?
I don't have one running on this system, but if there are tangible
benefits, I'd certainly run one.

Any and all replies will be gratefully accepted and acknowledged.
Please reply by mail.  Our news feed has been flakey at best.

Regards,

--
				Binayak Banerjee
		{allegra | astrovax | bpa | burdvax}!sjuvax!bbanerje