4.2 BSD Signals: A Proposal

cak at Purdue.ARPA cak at Purdue.ARPA
Fri Jan 13 01:37:00 AEST 1984

From:  Christopher A Kent <cak at Purdue.ARPA>

I think it's wonderful from a purely pragmatic standpoint. I probably
won't write any new code that uses it (I'm a true believer), but we
have so much old code that uses it that things have been a real pain
around here trying to convert it all and leave it portable (one program
system in particular, which we distribute, needs to be able to run on
4.1 and 4.2 and has to do timeouts of reads).

By leaving the default behaviour as restartable system calls, "new"
programmers will be encouraged to use that model, especially if they
have only read as much as they need to know and haven't seen the manual
page for sigrestartable yet.

I think it's a win all around.

Cheers,
chris