more startup time

cak at Purdue.ARPA cak at Purdue.ARPA
Tue Jan 31 01:37:00 AEST 1984

From:  Christopher A Kent <cak at Purdue.ARPA>

Oh my. This is getting out of hand. Here's what I do:

switch(`tty`)
	case '/dev/ttyp*':
		set saveterm = $TERM
		echo -n Term = \($TERM\)
		set term = $<
		if ( $term == '' ) then
			set term = $saveterm
			breaksw
		endif
		if ( $term == 'emacs' ) then
			stty -echo litout
			set term = 'su'
		endif
		setenv TERM $term
		unsetenv TERMCAP
		# no tset here, to avoid setting funny modes and delays across
		# the network, where it would just be annoying.
		breaksw

	default:
		set nonomatch
		eval `tset -s -Q -m "micom:?regent40" -m "unknown:?regent40" -m "network:?vt132" -m "switcher:?regent40" -m "dialup:?dm2500"`
endsw

Not only does this contain a hack to handle rlogin, it even has a hack
to handle rlogin inside an emacs window. I wish we didn't have to do
any of this.

Jay Lepreau has submitted a bug fix to Berkeley that causes tset to
look in the TERM variable and use that if you're on a terminal that
/etc/ttytypesay is "network" -- this way "naive" users don't have to
worry about all this crap, things just work the way they are supposed
to. As I recall, the fix is a couple of lines.

Cheers,
Chris "My .login and .cshrc are too big as it is" Kent